Sunday, August 17, 2014

A Little Kayak Safety Refresher Course

Ellen

After much discussion of our open water experience making the crossing from Whaler Island to Vargas Island, we realized how remiss we had been not practicing a wet exit in the Whisper. On a hot afternoon, we put on our full neoprene gear and paddled onto Lake Sammamish from the boat launch. With all the boats, jet skis, and other noise makers on the water, and with the help of a substantial wind, we actually had a good amount of chop and wakes to deal with. We also brought the water container and the tent, which we place between our feet in the cockpit. We wanted to make sure they wouldn't get in our way in the event of a capsize.

We started by having John out of the boat and me in the boat, just in case I couldn't get out somehow when I tipped the boat over. I had forgotten how much water goes up your nose when you go over. We have nose plugs, ear plugs and goggles for this very thing but we'd forgotten all about them. I had no trouble exiting the boat. The tent was not a problem. I did the same for John, and he had no problem either.

Then we tipped the kayak with both of us in the boat. Again, we had no problem. We both hoisted ourselves back in the boat, John on his first try and me on my second. I had to change my grip so that my right hand grabbed the near side on the front of the cockpit where it was wider. That allowed me to pull straight up, as is necessary to rise up without your PFD getting in the way.

Once back in the boat, we practiced low and high braces on both sides. It was good to do. We paddled back to the boat launch and were anxious to get home. The water had made us hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment